Ever wonder what to do with those two over-ripe bananas sitting in your fridge? Here’s your answer.
I am not one to throw away food and enjoy finding ways to salvage items on their last leg, gaping for one last breath! Bananas usually fit in this category more often than not and since I hadn’t found bran in the grocery stores here to make my usual banana bran muffins, I opted for this banana coconut cake. I came up with the recipe on my own and luckily the cake turned out to be pretty good (not too sweet, not too dry).
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tbsps milk
- 4 tbsps grated coconut
1. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time, mixing between each.
3. Sift together flour and baking powder.
4. Add to butter and sugar, alternating between flour mixture and bananas. Do not over mix.
5. Transfer batter to greased and floured cake mould and sprinkle grated coconut on top.
6. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
I don’t over mash the bananas so a few lumps remain in the cake. It makes for a nice texture! Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.