There is so much one can do with bell peppers…they can be eaten raw in salads, grilled to perfection with onions and even baked as I do here. They come in all shapes, sizes and colors. The bell pepper really is a multi-purpose vegetable!
Here is a nice and easy way to prepare them as a main entrée. Carb-free and colorful as can be!
Adapted from this recipe
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- extra salt and pepper, to taste
1. Prepare bell peppers by cutting them in half lengthways, removing seeds and spines, and boiling in water for 5 minutes to soften them. Drain water and set them aside in a ovenproof dish.
2. Prepare tomatoes by boiling in water for 2 minutes, this will allow skins to come off easily, then cut into cubes.
3. In a large skillet on medium high heat, add olive oil, then onions and garlic. Next, add the ground beef and stir until meat is browned, about 5 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and tomato paste, cover and let simmer on medium low heat for another 10 minutes. I also added a few cherry tomatoes.
5. Add taco seasoning and extra salt and pepper. The taco seasoning is optional but it adds a nice Mexican flavor to the dish.
6. Stuff bell peppers with meat and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.