Part 2 of my banana desserts is banana bran bread (part 1 being dedicated to banana coconut cake) which in reality is a recipe used for banana bran muffins. I don’t have the luxury of a muffin pan in Brazil and although I do miss having one, I haven’t invested in one due to the impending move back home. I use more bran in my recipe than the original one because of the higher health benefits of bran compared to white flour and it still turned out quite moist. I also like the distinct taste of molasses from the brown sugar. Some nuts would have been a great addition but I was too lazy to make a run to the market. This was a perfect afternoon snack to prep for a 3 hour session of Risk last Friday!
I thought it was pretty good…
Adapted from Banana Bran Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3-4 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together until fluffy.
- Add bananas, milk, vanilla and eggs; mix well.
- Stir in flour, bran, baking powder and salt; blend just until moistened. Pour batter into cake mold.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until knife comes out clean.