As a fervent lover of hot soups (must be the Caribbean genes), I decided to rustle up a pot with some leftover baked chicken I had from the weekend. Call me what you will, making soup from leftovers is the way to go. I picked up some small cassava locally known as “mandioquinha” and a few sweet potatoes at the market last weekend with this exact intention. Hence dubbing this soup “Chicken soup à la brésilienne”…
- Chicken pieces (had some chicken feet in there for taste and some white breast meat, you could also use drumsticks)
- 2 small cassavas, peeled and cubed
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and whole
- 1 tomato, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ bouillon cube
1. Boil 2-3 cups water in a large pot. Add all ingredients in order listed to the boiling water and let cook on low heat for 35-40 minutes, covered.
2. Serve boiling hot!