One of the reasons I decided to do this blog is because now more than ever I have the time to expand my cooking horizons and make things that I never would have thought to make a year back. Now is the time to be adventurous and I think I am already starting to improve!
So when I got a salmon fillet at the market last Sunday, I tried it out with a curry coconut sauce on a bed of sautéed spinach…
- 1 lb salmon fillet with skin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsps canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp flour
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- some cilantro for garnishing
1. For curry paste: In a small frying pan on high heat, add oil then curry powder. Mix intensely for a few seconds so curry gets some color then add 1/4 cup water. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
2. For sauce: In a small pot on low heat, combine coconut milk, curry paste, sugar and flour. Mix well. Simmer for 1-2 minutes but do not let boil. Turn off heat then add lime juice.
3. For fish: Start by seasoning your fish with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan on high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Place salmon in the pan and grill both sides until golden brown. Cover and cook (skin side down) on low heat for about 15 minutes or until salmon is done.
4. Serve sauce over the salmon on a bed of sautéed spinach.