Continuing on my expansion of simple cooking techniques, I decided to try two relatively new-for-me things: oven-roasting and browning butter.
The roasting mellowed the radishes’ peppery bite, and I was pleased to find that the green tops were a tasty addition — even better, because then they don’t go to waste! My radishes seemed to have much more green than the Epicurious photo, so I added generous handfuls of the chopped leaves to my dish and saved the rest for a future salad.
To be totally honest, this wasn’t my favorite. As someone who rarely ever uses butter in her cooking, the browned butter was delicious (with some brightness provided by the lemon), but much too heavy for my palate. However, I can see someone who enjoys the richness really taking to this preparation. It was definitely visually gorgeous and would be even better with multiple colored radishes — maybe even a few white turnips, too!
I followed the original recipe pretty closely (just adjusting proportions depending on what I had), so just follow the link below if you’re interested in making it! I will likely make this again, but without the dressing and with a bit less olive oil.
Roasted Radishes with Browned Butter, Lemon and Radish Tops
Serves 4 as a side, via Epicurious
- 2 bunches medium radishes (such as red, pink, and purple; about 20)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Brush large heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet with olive oil.
- Cut off all but 1/2 inch of green radish tops; reserve trimmed tops and rinse them well, checking for grit.
- Coarsely chop radish tops and set aside.
- Cut radishes lengthwise in half and place in medium bowl. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and toss thoroughly to coat.
- Place radishes, cut side down, on prepared baking sheet; sprinkle lightly with coarse salt.
- Roast until radishes are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes.
- Season to taste with more coarse kosher salt, if desired.medium-high heat.
- Add pinch of coarse kosher salt to skillet and cook until butter browns, swirling skillet frequently to keep butter solids from burning, about 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in fresh lemon juice.
- Transfer roasted radishes to warmed shallow serving bowl and drizzle brown butter over. Sprinkle with chopped radish tops and serve.