Kale became a major player in my food intake this year — especially in the spring, when it was so easy to get fresh and local.
There’s really not much I can think of to say about this — it was simple to put together, a little more daring than I normally dare to tread, and nice and spicy (the way I like it!). Great as part of a simple supper: two garlic brats, some roasted radishes, and the kale.
Spicy Kale with Walnuts
Serves 2-3 as a side
- 1 pound of kale, torn into pieces, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil and lightly blanch kale — approximately 4-5 minutes.
- While water boils or kale cooks, lightly toast walnuts and oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add diced onion and garlic, and increase heat to medium/medium high while sauteing, allowing onion to soften
- Thoroughly drain cooked kale in a colander, and add to walnut and onion mixture. Add crushed red pepper and saute for a minute, allowing flavors to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste.